We all break out, that's a widely known fact (and if you don't you are severely lucky or made a pact with the devil-who knows). BUT the last thing we want to do is exacerbate the problem, which 99% of the time is caused by wearing makeup!
So I'm always on the hunt for products that will help my face rather than harm it, I mean we wear makeup and suffocate our skin for 2-15 hours a day (that may sound extreme but I'm just basing this off my life...from going to get groceries or out to lunch up until my horrendously long hospital shifts) so why not put something on our skin that will help it in the long run?
Seems simple right? Surprisingly it isn't!!So I've rounded up my favorite products that help my skin during break outs (and a few are thrown in that help to just cover up the break out impeccably). These are listed (mostly) in the order of importance to me when I have a breakout according to what helps me the most :)
1.Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream- This is my #1 go to product if I have a breakout. When Aunt Flo is visiting, this is all I have on my face. The reason for this is that it has 2% Salicylic Acid in it (not enough to dry your skin out I promise because my skin is drier than the Sahara and this helps it even) so while you're walking around chillin in your makeup, theres some actual medical help going on to try and quell the breakouts and redness while being light enough to allow your skin to also breathe (which also helps to not cause any more acne).
2. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (orBeauty Blenderbut they're dupes) - So the reason I have this listed second is because when you have acne, you DO NOT want to apply things with a brush. With a sponge you use dabbing motions, and the best and only way to effectively cover a spot is to dab. Whether it be by using your foundation or concealer, a brush moves the product around, but when you dab it on it stays in place and then you can set it with a powder (but I'm going to talk about that later this post). The bottom line is you need to dab over spots to get the best coverage of them and using a sponge almost forces you to do that (plus I love them)
3. Tarte Cheek Stain (Shade: Awakening/Exposed) - A lot of times that I get acne it's on my chin, in between my eyebrows, or on my cheeks under my eye area (towards where you apply blush). I love these cheek stains because according to the back of the packaging they are "enriched with skinvigorating benefits: acai extract, acerola extract, goji berry extract, maraca extract, and pomegranate extract (T15 Superfruit Complex)" They also are formulated without paragons or phthalates (more crap you don't want on your skin that appears in lots of products) and are super long wearing! When my skin is having issues I only want to put good things onto it and this is one of them! I also know tarte as a brand is cruelty free, and I believe they are vegan so all natural products hurray!
4. BE Cheeky Cheek Stain- This is basically almost a dupe for the aforementioned Tarte cheek stain minus the large color selection. I wrote an entire blog post about this product you can read here, but this is a stain that is 100% organic and made by a fabulous lady who has her own etsy shop. All of the ingredients are always listed on her products (I have a picture of these on the other blog post) and the stain works amazingly! Again when my skin is not in the best shape I only want to put nice things onto it!
(now onto products more aimed at covering those pesky breakouts!)
5. Inglot Perfect Concealer : Shade 41 (Green)- So I think a lot of people are scared of green concealer, I know I was at first. But basically all you do is before you put ANY makeup on (well besides primer) you apply the green concealer to your spots (I would go for a green primer if you have a lot of redness) and then DAB your foundation and concealer over the spots (as aforementioned with the sponge) and the redness literally disappears. I mean obviously theres still the bump - I don't have any magic tricks here! But at least all of the redness will be gone! As long as you dab instead of swipe none of the green will show through (even with this bb cream- this is my exact routine I promise you).
6. MAC Pro Longwear Concealer- This is by far the highest coverage and longest lasting concealer that I've found. I've tried the MUFE concealer that everyone loves and it just slides off of my spots. It stays on my face, but not on the acne! Like it has to be on a level surface or something ridiculous... I highly recommend this concealer to conceal any spots, dark circles, scarring etc. But for the sake of this post- green concealer, bb cream, concealer, then powder (ALL APPLIED WITH A DABBING MOTION).
7. Inglot Face and Body Loose Powder - Now you can use any loose or solid powder for this, but this last step is pretty key. Like I said before: Green concealer, bb cream, concealer, powder. That my friends is the key to successfully covering your spots. This is the best powder that works for me personally, but any powder you like will do. I felt the need to add this in because although these last few products won't actually help your skin itself, it is a foolproof way of covering those spots.
I hope you guys enjoyed this post and maybe learned something today! I think you can tell what a few of my favorite products are :) If you'd like to see an individual review of any of these products just let me know in the comments below and I would be happy to!